As an archival/historical consultant, I work with organizations to create archives, curate exhibits, plan anniversaries, and write copy for exhibits and marketing campaigns. I’ve had the opportunity to work with some great organizations. Here is some information on a few of my recent projects.
- The Sonoma County Library has an important collection of architectural records which belonged to Henry and Marshall Wallace, civil engineers and surveyors, which I processed in 2019. The drawings, blueprints, and site plans date from the 1940s to the 1970s and are a fascinating look at how the county developed after World War II.
- I organized the congressional papers of former Representative Lynn Woolsey for the Sonoma State University Library in Rohnert Park, California. I also processed the personal papers of Bill Kortum and John Crevelli, who were influential Sonoma County environmental activists.
- Matson Navigation in Oakland, California hired me to organize over one hundred years of historical documents and photographs about their heritage of luxury passenger liner travel and innovative freight shipping. I processed the collection and wrote up a detailed inventory. The company uses its archives for legal research, marketing and public relations.
Two Arizona organizations asked me to create exhibits for important public spaces.
- I curated a major new exhibit at the Desert Caballeros Western Museum in Wickenburg about that town’s storied history of mining, ranching, dude ranching, and rodeo. It is on permanent display in their Quayle Family Gallery.
- The Chemehuevi Indian tribe in Lake Havasu City has a large indoor waiting area for their casino boat. They asked me to create displays about their history, culture, language, and modern day life for waiting visitors to enjoy.
Other clients include the Charles M. Schulz Museum, the Oakland Museum of California, Mason-McDuffie Real Estate, and Levi Strauss & Co., for whom I worked as corporate Historian for twenty-four years.
I am also the Editor of the Sonoma Historian, the quarterly journal of the Sonoma County Historical Society.